Today’s Oddfellows takes inspiration from a society for the ODD fellows, those who can’t be categorized. We’re inspired by those people, the ones who aren’t afraid to stand out from the crowd or take the road less travelled – who live a life full of character and charm.
We celebrate this historic society and have taken a beautiful historic building and restored it with charm and a sense of fun that we hope an ‘odd’ fellow would approve of.
Oddfellows Hall was originally a town house built in 1676 for Lady Mary Calverley, she petitioned the City Assembly for permission to demolish her house, which contained a section of the Chester Rows and replace it with a new house. This was granted but as it led to the loss of a portion of the Rows and she was
fined £20 (£3,000 as of 2015).
The building was the first in central Chester to be designed in classical style. During the early 18th century the house was occupied by John Williams, a local attorney general. Since that time the building has been used for various purposes, including a school, a club, offices, and shops.