Here's something to satisfy your taste buds! A super delicious dessert created by our talented head chef, Elliot Hill.
Granny Smith and Fennel Granita with a Smoked Almond Crumble
- 130g green parts of fennel 60g fennel fronds
- 170ml water 90g sugar
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and cored ½ lemon, juiced
- Freeze the green part of the fennel
- Bring the sugar and water to the boil, then chill
- Blend at highest speed all ingredients until smooth
- Pass through a sieve
- Freeze in a plastic container, going back with a fork every 20 minutes to scrape off, until frozen
Smoked Almond Biscuit Crumble
Ingredients 50g caster sugar 50g demerara sugar
- 100g smoked almonds ground 100g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 100g plain flour pinch salt
- Sieve flour then add all the other ingredients and beat until they become a dough
- Cover in fridge and chill to rest
- Preheat oven at 160, place dough rolled equally to half a centimetre on a lined baking tray
- Once cool, crumble up until relatively fine
- 100g almonds, ground 90g (+10) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 100g caster sugar 2 medium to large eggs
- 25g self-raising flour 3 drops almond extract
- ½ vanilla pod scraped, 3g sea salt flakes, crushed into powder
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Cream the butter and sugar together, and then gradually add the egg
- Pass the ground almonds, flour and salt through a sieve and fold into the butter mix
- Add the almond extract and the scraping of vanilla pod
- Line a loaf tin (12-15cm), and add the mix ¾ full
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check cake is cooked by using a thin skewer probing the middle of the cake, if it comes out clear, then it is ready.
- 6 granny smith apples 1 ½ (1.5) lemons, juice
- Peel and core the apples, then chop them into equal 1cm cubes
- Place in a microwave container with lemon juice and wrap in cling film 3 times
- Microwave full power for 2 minutes, then shake and repeat twice more. (TOP TIP - the microwave is the best way to keep the beautiful colour of the apple - the stove top method will brown them as they cook!)
- Once the apple is cooked, blend at full power until smooth, then chill immediately
- Fennel fronds granny smith apple
- Smoked almonds whole
- Tear the cake into pieces, place on the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the crumble to cover, then spoon on the apple puree.
- Into the apple, puree add thin fresh slices of granny smith apple (or use a melon baller!).
- Sprinkle the apple and fennel granita on to cover, finishing off with a garnish of fennel and smoked almonds.